Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to me

Yesterday was my 47th birthday. I can't believe I'm that old. When my mom was this age, I was 27. When my Grandma was this age, she was my Grandma already. I have a 9 and 7 year old. I hope the 40s really are the new 30s. I hate to think of myself being a doddering old fool while my kids are still young.

My kids woke me up (after 8am - wahoo)with breakfast in bed and a big "Happy Birthday, Mom!" They made scrambled eggs with ham and tomatoes, all by themselves. I also got reheated bacon, two pieces of toast and chocolate milk. They made 3 eggs and 4 slices of bacon so I had plenty to share. The seven year old was critical of her own cooking, saying that her eggs were not as good as mine. Really, they were just cooked a little longer than I usually cook them. Not burned. The only thing with a little char on it was one piece of toast. I don't know why only one piece burned - they toasted them at the same time. That is one great thing about everyone around here getting a little older - the special breakfasts in bed are actually edible.

The girls are at "mud camp" this week - an outdoor camp where they play in the creek, handle animals, learn to fish and all kinds of fun outside stuff. when they get home, I make them strip down right inside the door and go shower while I throw their clothes in the washer. They are a total mess, but then that's the point. Time to go pick them up.